Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Poem: Growing



cells are not the greatest of liars
they document everything,
conscious or unconscious,
things we'd call waste
this body has been caged by my thoughts
beaten by words,
judged by penetrating eyes,
scorn by social media,
reshaped by depression,
extinguished.
fallen,
a back that got strong from all the rising up's
there is a strong taste of desire
to bloom
eager to pull all the weeds
so our gardens would over shine
the mess we've made
there's something growing inside
I felt it move today
the gentle sound of a seed bursting
and small roots caressing
jumping through the shadows of the mind
I do not know what it feeds on
and if it's been here all this time
waiting for a perfect moment
to change the strings of my voice
blossom needs a spine to stand
mine has been long time in the making
leaves are pushing on the stitch
from the inside
oh, wait, I think I'm gonna sneeze!

7 comments:

  1. :) At times mind is too much messy with all the thoughts and needs a cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you lead your reader in from the first line, and you have developed your metaphor very well throughout the piece. I especially liked this line: blossom needs a spine to stand... There are many layers of possible meaning there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wonder if you're allergic to yourself or to growth. ; )

    I like this a lot!

    a back that got strong from all the rising up's
    there is a strong taste of desire
    to bloom
    eager to pull all the weeds
    so our gardens would over shine
    the mess we've made

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a STUPENDOUS poem! I so loved every line...it is The Journey, kiddo. I so resonate with a back growing strong from all the Rising Ups...........and wanting to pull the weeds so our gardens can outshine the mess we've made. OMG! Fabulous write! Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very high order of dynamic thoughts... yes, creativity in spring and of autumn... a little comic cosmic relief....

    In times when I have written so much in a day (maybe a tenth of it good) I discovered the sub-cycles... that is the mood of the poem varied with the dream like flow of cycles of sleep by hours...

    Does the thought cage our hearts? Do we not as well break into a cage to free what has been trapped or hidden within... our leaves trimmed, ejected, that inside our creative waters do not totally freeze. God bless you... the heart stops awhile in clarity between the cage and all else when our leaves turn then fall, a blink, a sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I felt it move today". I lie how that is smack dab in the middle if all the pondering ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I thought this would be a scientific ramble, but it turned out to be a metaphysical gem! The lines:
    blossom needs a spine to stand
    mine has been long time in the making

    ...particularly stood out, as well as feeling that seed open within. Having just emerged from a similar stasis, I'm with you all the way. The last line cracked me up, but it also made me a little sad, as though the vine will fall after all that work. Amy

    ReplyDelete